13 May 2013

Itazura na Kiss ~ Love in Tokyo

I am currently watching Itazura na Kiss ~ Love in Tokyo, a remake of the 1996 Japanese drama which is based on a manga. The drama is so cute and funny and I like the fact that the girl who played Kotoko, Miki Honoka, is merely 16 years old in real life. The guy who played Naoki Irie, Furukawa Yuki, is actually 10 years older than Miki but he got me fooled with his youthful good looks. Although he is not as good looking as Kim Hyun Jung who played the same character in the Korean version, in my personal opinion Furukawa's acting is much better. The best part is he speaks English fluently with American accent, which makes his character of a genius with IQ of 200 very believable.

I thought I would hate Kotoko but Miki's potrayal of this character make it so lovable. I guess it is because Miki herself is still a high school student in real life.

The drama so far is fast paced but still funny and stays close to the manga. Of course you cannot cram everything from the manga into a 16 episode drama series. But you will enjoy the story nevertheless. I like it that they did Miki's hair like Kotoko in the manga.

I can't wait for the next episodes and am very happy that the English subs come out very fast. Nowadays, the English subs for Japanese drama is very slow. I think due to the popularity of Korean dramas nowadays.

I have watched up to the latest episode 6 where Kotoko joined the tennis club with Irie-kun. The guy who played Soba, the tennis club senpai, really looks like an old guy! It was hilarious when his sweet demeanour turned evil the moment he touched his tennis racket!!

No comments: